Sunday, August 24, 2008

Fan Expo 08

I hadn't been to a comic book convention since I was about 15. Having just turned 29 two weeks ago I thought that should change. With FanExpo this weekend I did change things for the better.

Now, FanExpo isn't soley a comic book convention, that's where the roots started and comics take up a large portion of the flooring, but FanExpo also has Anime, Video Games, Horror and SCi-Fi to draw fans into the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

This combination seems to work quite well. It was packed. Tons of people there, at points it was very difficult to even move. I lost count of all of the people that I bumped into. I have gone to Card Shows (hockey cards) and there is no comparison in terms of the crowds. FanExpo would win hands down.

Observations: I really expected to see more people dressed as comic book characters. I saw some for sure - with the Watchmen movie coming out Rorshach was a popular choice - and a few Spider-Man's. I even saw a 6 year old boy with a Batman costume on. But the Anime/Manga kids are hardcore. I couldn't tell which medium there characters were from as I am not familiar with Anime or Manga. But damn, I was stepping on tails, bumping into duct tape broadswords, having to duck out of the way of spiked hair. I was not prepared for the hardcore Anime/Manga kids.

Some of those Anime/Manga costumes could get a young woman arrested - mistaken for another 'profession'. Ass cheeks hanging out everywhere.

Trade paper backs and Hardcover collections are taking over the comic industry. That was the majority of my purchases, because that was the majority of what I was seeing. It was like browsing at Chapters except the sellers kind of knew what they were talking about. I did buy single issues, but was disappointed with the selection. Was it because nobody had what I wanted - and I admit I wanted a few less than sought after issues ( I just want to finish my Major Bummer run ) or was it that sellers knew that TPB's and Hardcovers were going to be the big sellers? Probably both.

Big Seller for the con, was definitely Watchmen - people were selling out of their stock on Saturday when I went and there was still Sunday remaining! Another big seller was Killing Joke - I bought a copy myself - both written by Alan Moore.

The horror stuff was pretty hardcore too, scary looking people with Tatoos trying to sell you there home-made horror movies. Didn't really spend too much time in those areas - Sci-fi as well. You could definetely tell the horror fans - dressed in all black and pale. Some of the stuff looked pretty cool and I like horror movies myself on occasion, but I felt like if I tried to engage anyone in a conversation about horror movies I would be left in the dust with their knowledge.

File away for next time: My first con in years, wasn't completely sure of what to expect. For next year - because I'll probably go again - I didn't attend any panels or signings or get any sketches. A day later and I regret it. Next year, I might just buy a 2 day pass and 1 day can be dedicated for signings and sketches and the other for shopping.

Just Dumb: I never bothered to check out artist alley, for someone who keeps telling himself that one day you'll have a comic of your own to pimp out to the masses, it was pretty stupid to not spend any time to see how it's laid out and what kinds of things the people there have to sell. Have to fix that for next time.

Tom.

No comments: